Well hello everyone! It’s the Labour Day Weekend when we try to cram in as much late summer activity as we possibly can in 72 hours.
While hurricane season is upon us, and multiple hatches will be battened, there are lots of fun ways to get your fit on the long weekend. Here are five ways you can put a spring in your step getting ready for fall:
- Take a hike, or a walk, or even a meandering stroll. If you are spending a good chunk of your weekend getting ready for fall, then it will be even more important for you to stick your head out and your whole body too and get some fresh air.
- Go for a swim. Wild water swimming is taking off big time. It doesn’t matter if you plunk your feet in a fountain or a brook, or if you go go all the way and jump in a pond or lake. Paddling around in water is always fun.
- Play a game. Find a ball, a frisbee, or a kite, and get going. Make up rules if you have to, but get out and run around with a spherical object.
- Practice forest bathing. All you need to do is find a wooded area, make yourself comfy, and breathe. Forest-bathing originated in Japan, and was designed to reconnect people to forests/nature while counter-acting the negative effects of too much tech use. After 18 months of pandemic restrictions and online working, getting re-energized by sitting in a quiet, wild and natural environment sounds pretty good to me.
- Be social — it’s been a hard slog with the pandemic, but one of the lowest risk activities is to be outside; there you can maintain social distance, while still enjoying friendship or extended family contact. Grab a sandwich, a cold beverage, and a blanket, and get your chat on with some real time face time.
It might not be possible for you to do all of these things every day of the long weekend, but if you can, try one. if you are feeling especially ambitious, aim for the Labour Day triathlon where you walk, breathe, and connect. Let us know how you do in the comments.