Thanks to Holly at Comparative Geeks for nominating us for “The Versatile Blogger Award.” We hadn’t anticipated the sense of community and connection the blog would provide for us, not just in terms of others who are interested in fitness and feminism, but in the blogosphere more generally. So thank you, Holly! We happily accept the award and pass it on to others.
The rules of accepting the award are:
- Display the award on your blog
- Announce your win with a post and thank the blogger who nominated you.
- Present 15 deserving bloggers with the award.
- Link your nominees in the post and let them know of their nomination with a comment.
- Post seven things about yourself.
Here are fifteen blogs that Sam and I read and would like to nominate for the Versatile Bloggers Award. Not all of them are about fitness or about feminism. But they’re all smart blogs with good writing. Don’t feel obligated to respond to our nomination. We’re happy enough just to keep reading your blogs!
- Fit and Feminist
- Happy Is the New Healthy
- Dances with Fat
- 3 Zigs and a Dog
- The egirls project
- The Belle Jar
- Running While Fat
- Mitherings from Morningside
- Wild Jugglings
- Post Punk Kitchen
- The Publication Coach
- The Kramer Is Now
- Cycle Write Blog
We blog about ourselves quite a bit, but it’s a condition of the versatile blogger award that we post seven things about ourselves. So here goes!
Tracy’s Seven Things
- Besides my MA and PhD in Philosophy, I have a Master’s of Fine Arts in Creative Writing (Lesley 2008) and it’s the degree I’m most proud of and had the most fun doing.
- My mother wanted to name me Zoe but opted for Tracy instead. I often wonder if I’d be a different person (maybe more quirky or funky?) if I’d been named Zoe.
- I’ve had lots of shitty jobs, including restaurant, hotel and bar work in Switzerland, Greece, and Toronto. The service industry is not my forte.
- Cycling on roads, even quiet country roads, still scares me a lot and I’m not sure I’ll ever get over it. There really isn’t anything you can say to alleviate that fear, so don’t bother trying.
- I’ve written a novel and done nothing with it (yet) and if I do, it’ll probably publish under a pseudonym.
- I’m obsessed with cookbooks, recipes, and vegan food blogs. And I love to experiment with new recipes and just generally spend time in the kitchen.
- Morning is my favourite time of day, except on weekends and vacations, when I like all times of day equally.
Sam’s Seven Things
- I’m a philosopher first and foremost but I’m intellectually omnivorous. I started in Journalism, switched to Political Science, and then Philosophy. My undergrad degree was Honours Philosophy with a Religious Studies minor. These days I can supervise dissertations in Women’s Studies, Philosophy, and Political Science.
- I was named after the “Samantha” in a movie. High Society, actually. The lead was called “Tracy Samantha.” Everyone guesses “Bewitched” but those Samanthas are younger.
- I am writing a paper on Miss Piggy’s body positive feminism for an anthology about Philosophy and the Muppets.
- I was born and grew up in cold, dark places (north of England, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia) but I love the sun.
- I’ve been active on the web for a very long time. I was blogging back when they were actually referred to as “web logs.” I had a homepage before my university department had a homepage.
- I had pink and purple hair for a time in the 80s.
- I own 5 bicycles (cyclocross, road, fixie, track, mtb) but I crave more. Would love a girly cruiser bike and a cargo bike.