I am a contradictory person. I love absolute quiet while I am writing but I cannot clean or tidy without blasting some fun music. I also like working out to what I call happy boppy music, and every Friday I make sure I play a few of my favorites to get ready for the weekend.
Monday past, Christine shared a great video using Love Shack (B-52s) in her Day Five Making Space post. I had a great idea as a result.
If you had to build a playlist focused on movement and joy, what would you include? Please share in the comments. To get you started, here’s my Top Ten Have-To-Drop-Everything-And-Dance-Now hits:
- Buffy Sainte-Marie and Tanya Tagaq get your blood racing with You Got To Run (Spirit of the Wind).
- K’Naan’s Wavin’ Flag, the unofficial anthem for the 2010 FIFA World Cup is perfect for getting you stomping.
- Arcade Fire’s Rebellion (Lies) is a great way to warm up.
- I heard this remix in one of the more surreal episodes of Ted Lasso. I had to go look it up and I always start my Friday rocking it out to Martin Solveig and Dragonette’s Hello.
- Great Big Sea has a ton of excellent dancing songs but this one never fails to get me going. Ordinary Day makes a fit break extraordinary.
- Alice Merton has a lovely edgy vibe in No Roots.
- Who can resist Joan Armatrading? I can’t. Drop the Pilot must be on a half dozen of my playlists.
- Sometimes when you are in a stomping mood, only Patti Smith’s People Have the Power will do.
- I was lucky enough to see Iggy Pop in concert years ago and while this version of Lust for Life doesn’t compare to seeing him perform live, it still gets me up out of my chair.
- Finally, when you need that extra boost to your whole mood, listen and watch this fabulous video by Bomba Estero (So Yo — I’m Me) featuring a delightfully defiant and confident young female person.
MarthaFitat55 is always looking for an opportunity to dance her feet off.